You'll find, as you go deeper down this particular rabbit hole, that guns cause friends...not crime. - Me

5/14/2010

For those that asked.

Some of my friends over at the #GBC chat asked me about the grips on my 1911 after I mentioned that I had engraved them for a bit of personal flair. Well here you go guys.










I apologize for the flash but the lighting is too yellow without it.



Anyway, they aren't that well done, as you can plainly see I'm a rank amateur. This is the first time I've tried to engrave wood, (my usual work in wood when doing things like this is woodburning), oh well. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Scott McCray said...

Last I checked, all of the grand masters started as rank amateurs at some point. I like 'em. Working on the curved surface can't be easy. What's next?
I need to get back in the shop on some guitar work, but not likely - gunbloggers and the NRA are in town - WOOOHOOO!

Home on the Range said...

It doesn't look like a beginning effort. Certainly better than I could ever do.

JRebel said...

Well, like I said I've done similar work before just with steel. Woodburning is also similar, good practice to keep a steady hand. Also, working on a curve that also tapers down isn't easy, yet. As for what's next, I really dunno, maybe get some walnut (since I have a lot of that on hand) and practice making my own grips. Thank you both for the compliments.

Kansas Scout said...

I have stopped by and looked at your efforts at least three times and overall, I think you did a good job. I like it. Wear/carry with pride.

JRebel said...

Thanks Kansas, it's always nice to hear when someone else likes my work.